Monday, February 8, 2010

First Tutorial


Hello Everyone!
This is my first official post & tutorial on this blog.
I've found myself being in a rather crafty mood lately and thought it might be fun to have a blog dedicated to this sudden craftiness. I have two little ones that I stay home with so most of my projects are worked on during naptime or after bed. I'm not sure what to tell you to expect from this blog. ??? Perhaps a crafting tutorial here and there, a little decorating, maybe some re-decorating, and why not throw in a few recipes every once in a while?
All while I sip on a nice little cup of coffee!


With that being said.....
Let's get on with the tutorial.
I know there are tons of tutorials on these Decoupaged Letters but, I thought it would be a good tutorial to start with. Besides, this is my blog and I can do whatever I want :)

Step #1
Pick out a word!
I chose love because I am in the process of re-decorating our Master Bedroom and wanted something pretty for my bookshelf.

Supplies:
Letters (cardboard or wood)
Scrapbook paper
Mod Podge
Sponge applicator/brush
Sandpaper/file
Distress Ink


Step #2
Trace your letter on the back of your scrapbooking paper.

Step #3
Cut out letter.
(So far not too difficult. Right?)

Step #4
Spread a nice layer of Mod Podge on the front of your cardboard letter and carefully place your paper cut out over it. Smooth out any bubbles.

Step #5
Distress the edges of your paper with sandpaper or a file.
(Don't worry...This file has never touched my foot and will never touch my foot! I use it for crafts only! I personally like it better than sandpaper.)

Here is what your letters will look like at this point.
(You could stop here if you wanted a shabby-look.)

I was going for more of a distressed look and busted out the Distress Ink
(This stuff is totally my new Best Friend!)

Step #6
Rub Distress Ink on edges of letters.
I used a make-up sponge to do this and it worked great!
(My original plan was to cover the entire letter with paper but, I loved the look that the Distress Ink gave the cardboard and decided to use it on the sides of the letters as well.)

How cool does that look?

Step #7 (optional)
Cover letters with a coat of Mod Podge to seal them.
I suggest waiting for the Ink to completely dry before applying the Mod Podge to prevent smearing.
(This was really scary! I thought I ruined them for sure! It looks cloudy as it goes on but, will dry clear. Don't be scared!)

Voila!
The finished project sitting nice and pretty on my Bookshelf...





3 comments:

  1. Brilliant!! These look very expensive and wonderful!! Blessings!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omgosh...look at you! Go Ashley! Those look amazing and I am totally gonna steal ideas from you. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete